As some of you know, I was on vacation this week! (wait… but Nicole, you were online ALL THE TIME!!) Okay, so it was more of a WORKING VACATION.But, I was away up at my cottage.
What does Cottage Life mean? Why, it means playing Crazy 8’s as a drinking game, of course!
For those of you who don’t know how to play Crazy 8’s, the rules are as follows (I’m only going to state the rules that my man and I play with as, if I state all of the different variations… we’ll be here all day!)
- Deal 8 cards to each player
- Flip the top card over on the rest of the deck
- Starting with the player to the right of the dealer, each player will put down a card that matches the card that is face up by either suit or value (eg. card facing up is a 6 of clubs. The next player can put down any card that it either a 6, or clubs) if the player does not have a playable card, they draw a card.
- If a player plays a Jack, the next players turn is skipped.
- If a player plays a 2, the next player has to pick up 2 cards (we play by the rules that these accumulate. So if I play a 2, my man would pick up 2. If HE THEN plays a 2, I pick up 4, etc)
How do you think those rules worked out for me?? My highest card count was 17!
- 8’s can be played at any time as they are “Crazy” and allow you to change the suit in play. You don’t have any diamonds, but you have an 8? You can change it to whatever you like.
- Queen of spades causes the next player to pick up 5 (We do NOT allow those to build with the 2’s as some do… then it just gets out of hand!)
- Play continues until someone is out of card. (When you are down to your last card, you must state “Last Card” out loud. If you do not, and the next player puts a card in play before you state it, you must pick up 2 more cards)
NOW ON TO DRINKING GAME RULES!!!
Cottage Crazy 8’s is Best Served with a Local Brew!!
In my case, I went with a Pale Ale from the Haliburton Highlands Brewery . It’s a wonderful brewery with different beers every season (I really wanted to go with their Spruce Beer that they had going this time, but they didn’t have any bottled at the time!) They just built a new facility which is GORGEOUS compared to the shed that they used to work out of!
Now that I’ve properly pushed one of my favourite Breweries of the area onto all of you, and made you crazy jealous, and have a strange urge to travel to the Haliburton/Minden Hills areas…. on to the drinking game!!
The Rules are Simple:
Follow the Rules above except:
- When someone plays an 8, the next player must drink
- When someone plays a 2, the next player must drink (as well as picking up 2.. the rules are still normal, the drink is just ADDED)
- When someone plays a Jack, the skipped player must drink
- If a player forgets to call “Last Card” they must take 2 drinks
- When the Queen of Spades is played, the poor sap who gets hit with it has to take a shot, that is on reserve on the table for this!
I’m the one who came up with the Queen of Spades Rule… guess what Karma did to me for that one??
Yup, KARMA BIT ME IN THE ASS!!!
We also had some visitors come and hang out to watch us play!
At least SOMEONE was there to witness my VICTORY!!
Well, I hope you all enjoy a game of Crazy 8’s for yourselves!!